Wednesday, April 25, 2012

BOPB-B! What?!?

So I had a bunch of bananas that were starting to get spots.  My kids won't eat them unless they are perfectly yellow, no spots. And I wanted something other than banana bread.  I found this recipe at delish.com and thought I'd try it.  I did modify it slightly to fit me.  Luckily the kids love them!  It's kind of a mix between banana bread and a granola bar.  Perfect to tuck into lunches or as an afternoon snack.  So here's the recipe.  Sorry there's not as many pics pre-production, but it's really easy.

Banana Oatmeal Peanut Butter Bars

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

Melt 3/4 cups butter or margarine
Cream together until light and fluffy with:
1 cup sugar
1 Tbsp molasses

Then add in:
1 egg
1/2 tsp salt
2 large or 4 small well-ripe bananas broken into pieces
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup creamy or chunky peanut butter
Beat until very well mixed.

Stir in 4 cups rolled oats. I used quick oats.
Mix until well blended.

Optional add ins:
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts like walnuts
1 cup raisins
1 cup craisins
Play with the options depending on your kid's tastes.

Grease a 9x13 inch pan.  Pour batter into pan and spread evenly.  Bake for 40-45 minutes.  The recipe says 50-60 minutes but I did 50 the first time and the bottoms were nearly black.  Maybe raise the shelf in the oven to higher and check for done-ness after about 40 minutes.
 Let cool completely, and cut into bars.


 I wrapped each one in plastic wrap.  Now they are ready for lunches or on the go.

Easy, Yummy, and you made your own bars from scratch so no preservatives!  Bonus!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...