Sunday, April 1, 2012

Totes Magotes!


Name that movie!  Haha - one of my favortie lines ever!  In case you have no idea what "Totes Magotes" is from you can watch the clip from the movie here!

On April 4th we will be exactly four months away from graduation!  Talk about exciting and terrifying at the same time!  Once we graduate we have to take our certification exam, the PANCE.  I'm typically a huge procrastinator, but I'm not going to risk anything on this exam.  It's kind of a big deal, so I'm starting my studying now.  I've been carrying around my study materials in a little tote that was kind of boring, so I decided to make a bright one that would make me happy!

Enter, Totes Magotes!


I used a home decor fabric from Joanns for the outer fabric, and a regular cotton fabric for the lining.  I used muslin for the straps and pockets.  I bought one yard of each fabric for $17, but only used half of the outer fabric and about 3/4 of the inner fabric.  So I'd say it was right at $10 to make.

I followed Say Yes To Hoboken's tutorial for the tote, and Cut Out and Keep's tutorial for the pocket (well, kinda).

I put a divided pocket on one side to hold my water and any other goodies.  I did the pockets from the tutorial by memory, and realized I did them wrong.  Oh well, they still work!



I took two pieces of cardboard and wrapped them with my ScotchBlue Painter's Tape.  I made a pocket out of the lining fabric and slid it over the cardboard.  I then placed this in the bottom of the bag.  It adds support so my bag has a solid bottom.  If I spill something in the bag I can remove the cardboard and wash the rest - here is the cardboard insert:


Now I have a cute, cheery tote to haul around my study materials for the next four months!




I love the fabric and the long straps!


Cheers!!
PhotobucketPhotobucket HookingupwithHoHUndertheTableandDreamingSew ChattyPhotobucket

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...