Sunday, November 13, 2011

Owl Ornaments!


In our house Christmas is absolutely NOT allowed until after Thanksgiving.  I was born on Thanksgiving, so I take it personal when people skip right over Thanksgiving and go straight to Christmas.

So why the story?  Because I'm kinda breaking my own rule and I made something for Christmas before Thanksgiving!

For the past few years I have found cute ornaments and tied them onto all the Christmas presents I give out.  This year I wanted to make some!  I found this tutorial by Craft Passion for an owl keychair holder and modified it for my needs.

First I opened her PDF file for the owl template and traced those out on wax paper.


The hard part for me is always choosing fabrics!  I chose ten prints and ten coordinating solids.

Cut out a piece of your print that is large enough for the main body of the owl and the eyes.

Attach your template for the owl'l body, pin it in place, them cut it out!


If you fold the fabric over so the wrong sides are together, you will cut out the front and back at the same time and they will be even.


Here are all the different colored owls!


For the stomach, eyes, and beak cut out the right amount of fabric needed and iron it onto fusible interfacing.  I saved all the scrap fabric from where I cut out the body and ironed all the scraps onto the interfacing.


Your owl eye consists of three circles, each one smaller than the first.  The largest and smallest circles will be the same color as the solid tummy.  The medium sized circle will be the same color as the main body.  You can make the beak any color you want!

Peel the back off the fusbile interfacing and iron all your pieces onto the body of the owl.


Now grab some sort of ribbon or string.  I used hemp.  I cut them into approximately 2 1/2 inch pieces.  Fold your piece in half and pin it in between the front and back of your owl body.


Now you're going to sew around the edge of the owl.  I started on the bottom right of the owl and sewed until I had about a two inch space left. 

Leave your owl right on the sewing machine and put in a little bit of fill.


Finish sewing and don't forget to backstitch at the beginning and end of your stitch.

You're done!


These are really easy to make.  Just a little tedious cutting out all the small pieces.  This is a great scrap-buster project! 




Cheers!
Keeping It SimpleAnything RelatedTuesday To Do PartyPhotobucketmommahenscoop Catch a Glimpse ButtonTransformation ThursdayHookingupwithHoHfreckled laundryThe Shabby Nestbutton+FTF.jpgUndertheTableandDreamingPhotobucketPhotobucket36th Avenue504 MainPhotobucket

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...