Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Fall Family Room

The seasons have changed, but I’m still wearing shorts and the air conditioner still kicks on from time to time.  If you never been to the Carolina’s before there is one thing that you should know….. the weather can change dramatically from one day to the next.  It can be near 90 one day and then barely in the 60’s the next.  Oh and there isn’t a lot of  70 degree days.  You either have the air conditioner or the heat running for most days out the year.  There are even days when you have the air-conditioner running during the day and the heat on at night!

Enough about Carolina weather….

How about some fall decorating?

Fall-Tablescapes

I started arranging a fall tablescape (shown above) and had to walk away for a minute.  When I came back, my daughter mentioned that the orange really POPs out, so I decided I would run with the POP of orange.

Autumn-Fall-tablescape-display-idea

You might notice this console table as the table that once found a home in the foyer.  It has now moved to the family room with a new finish.  I restained the table with a red mahogany stain but of course that was too red and it had a weird purplish color.  I applied an ebony stain over the table to both darken and hide the purplely-red color.  I must say, I like the rich color but not the daily dusting!  Know I understand why so many of you are going to lighter and brighter color schemes in your home.

The leaf garland was something I made a few years back using brown twisted paper and dollar store faux leaves.  The twisted paper was left in  the rope-like-twist that it comes in and I simply hot glued the leaves on.

Fall-mantle---entertainment-decorating-idea

A fall display above the TV entertainment center (made by my parents).   Oh how I wish I had a mantle to decorate for the season.

Family-room-fall-display

Lazy Boy wing-back chairs with new burnished-orange pillows from Big Lots.  I personally think these chairs are too big for the room and have been thinking about listing them on Craigslist. 

The desk in the background is my first beloved piece of furniture that I ever bought.  I believe I was 19 years old when I made the purchase and it is still in wonderful condition!  It’s actually not a desk at all, but a vanity. 

Fall-details-Autumn-Decoration-ideas

Top Left:    I had a little wooden box (made by my Dad) that I turned the top upside down and placed a creamy velvet pumpkin that I made last year.

Top Right:   A new fall colored pillow from Big Lots and a leaf pillow that I made from a placemat.

Bottom Left:   I added this basket from Michael’s to hold some new throw blankets from Wal-mart.   Have you seen the Better Homes and Garden throw blankets at Wal-Mart?  They have a wonderful selection!  Plus the blankets are soooooo warm and cozy. 

Bottom Right:  A new acorn candle from Wal-mart.  I am not crazy about the scent of the candle but loved the little container.    Plus my all time favorite photograph of my kids at Halloween time acting goofy!!

One last thing…. I am sorry for the lack of post, replies to comments and emails, and Facebook updates.  I have started my second seasonal job and got back into my exercise routine last week.  To say the least,  I am tired!!!   I definitely need to refigure my schedule to allow  more blogging and creative time.  If only I wasn’t the type of person who needs 8 hours of sleep, but I am. 

 

SavvySeasons.com Autumn Arrives Party

Until next time,Carrie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...