Thursday, October 27, 2011

Phase 1- Teen Lounge

Good Morning good looking!  Yes… I’m talking to you!!

Oh, what a beautiful morning it is!  It’s going to be the high of 80 today and I hope to get outside to enjoy every bit of it while I can, because tomorrow it’s only going to get to a high of 52! 

Yes, I believe I mentioned before the crazy weather here in the Carolina’s BUT I love it and wouldn’t want to call any other place on earth home!!!

Loft-turned-Teen-Lounge

What have I been up to lately??

Well, months and months ago (like way back in April) I mentioned that I wanted to create a “Teen Lounge” area for my kiddos.     As my kids have gotten older the friends have become CO-ED and this mama is not wild and crazy about them hanging out in their bedrooms! 

Yes, I may be old but I was teen once too…..  I’m down.  I got the 411.  No one is getting jiggy in my house I don’t care how dope my pad is!!          (my teen’s are rolling their eyeballs at me right now.  ha ha)

Anyways,  I got a bit distracted by my foyer, but my daughter has gotten me back on track.  

Amazing-deal-on-sofas

I have been collecting ideas for months (click to see just some of the inspiration in my Pinterest folder). 

I spent a great deal of time looking for inspiration for making a daybed for this room using the twin mattress that I already had.  The problem is…. this room is small!  A daybed would take up a lot floor space in this room.    I was stuck and had a total mental block for what I wanted to do.  That is until my son and I spotted a brand NEW (with tags still attached) matching sofa and loveseat that just came in at the local flea market! 

It was hard to tell the color of the sofas under the florescent lighting.  I didn’t buy them that day, however,  I went back the next day (in search of something else) when curiosity got the better of me and asked for the going price.  I was shocked at the low low low price tag!!!   Of course, I had to forward a photo to all the kiddos and get the thumbs up before bring them home.

I still can’t tell what color it is.  In different light it sometimes looks gray, a little grayish-aqua-blue, or even a grayish-green color.  

Pallet-Side-Table---Crate-side-Table

Side-tables. 

I created a pair of side-tables using pallets left behind from our new roof.    I used this photo below, found on Pinterest, as inspiration.

pallet side table

The side-table in the inspiration image is just two apple crates stacked onto top of one another.

Teen-Lounge-Crate-side-table

I didn’t have a lot of space to work with so it was a great solution to customize my own side-tables.

Crate-Side-Table---Pallet-Side-Table--

For the top I used different widths, shortened the space between boards, and added a small ledge.

Pottery-Barn-style-Teen-Lounge---DIY-pallet-side-table

I really love the mix of styles between the rustic side-table and the modern mercury glass lamp (purchased from TJ Maxx)!!

My son is not a huge fan of my creation.  I have been thinking about adding some cool stenciling to the sides and my Dad had a great idea of staining them a light weathered gray!

Stay tune…. I might not be done with these Crate Side-Tables.

Phase-1---Loft-for-Teens

Here’s a quick over view at where I am now with this room.

The draperies are custom store bought.  Because of the high ceilings, I can not use draperies straight from the store AS IS.   I bought a few cream panels for each side of the window and sewed them together down the length.  Then I removed the hem off each cream panel and added the extra length needed from another curtain panel in brown. 

This wasn’t the look I wanted.  I wanted to have cream draperies from floor to ceiling, but my son happened to be with me and said that he loved his curtains so much that he wanted to do the same in this room. 

OH, and the Pier 1 knock-off clock was from a few months back.  Click here.

Phase-1--Teen-Lounge--

There is still a lot on the T0-Do list for this room but it’s coming together nicely. 

Thanks for stopping by today,

Carrie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...