Monday, August 1, 2011

LGRAB Summer Games 2011 - Read a Book About Cycling

Event #3 - Read a Book About Cycling


I love reading, so I'm not sure why the thought to read about cycling never occurred to me. When I saw that reading a cycling book was one of the events for the Summer Games, I hurried to the library to pick one out. Who knew there were so many?

I ended up choosing The Practical Cyclist by Chip Haynes. It is a self-described primer for cycling novices. Perfect for me!

I'll start with the pros...

Haynes' writing is easy and fun to read. He's actually quite the comedian. There were numerous quips that had me literally laughing out loud. It's not often a book makes me laugh; I don't think it's ever happened with a how-to book before!

I ended up learning a little more about different styles of bikes. I'm completely embarrassed to admit that I used to think a flip-flop hub was something you put on your bike to wear those rubber sandals. Not so, apparently. I've learned!

Now, onto the cons.

This book was actually a little too basic, and I'm very new to riding a bike. There was a lot of information that seemed better suited for someone who has never seen a bike, much less ridden one. And while Haynes' writing is fun and enjoyable, occasionally he seemed to sacrifice information for jokes.

The other downside was the lack of pictures. Reading instructions on how to replace or patch a tube isn't too helpful without any pictures or diagrams attached. It really left me clueless. Unless I happen to have his book tucked into my bike basket every trip, I don't think I would be able to repair a flat after reading that chapter. Actually, I don't think I'd be able to repair it even with the book. Pictures are great. Hint hint, Mr. Haynes.

Overall, I think it's a book to check out at the library. Read it once, have a laugh, then return it and buy something more useful.

Now, on to find a better bike book! Any recommendations? 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...