Saturday, August 6, 2011

LGRAB Summer Games 2011 - Test Ride a Different Bike

It's time for my last entry of the LGRAB Summer Games! Actually, it's only my last official entry. I still plan on trying other events on the list, they just won't be included in my entries. I can't wait to start using my bike for trips to stores - I'm just waiting until the thermometer no longer reaches 110ยบ!

Event #4: Test Ride a Different Type of Bike

I should start by saying I have no clue what kind of bike I own. I can narrow it down based on what I know it's not though. It's not a cruiser, road bike, or mountain bike. So what does that leave? Comfort maybe? Or hybrid? I really don't know. 

All I know is that Miss Dorothy showed up top of a hill. And no, I didn't take her and run. After seeing the obviously abandoned bike for about a week, we finally took it home. I tried in vain to locate the owner for about two months, working with police stations, local bike stores, craigslist, and every lost/stolen bike list I could find online. So for now, I've adopted her. And she's great. She feels safe, comfortable, and is really easy to ride. But I have to admit, I suffer from bike envy. I have a whole board on Pinterest dedicated to bikes I would love to own someday. Sadly, none of those bikes can fit into my budget. Actually, a bike from Walmart can't even fit into my budget for now!

And yet, when the time came for me to actually ride a different kind of bike, I ended up choosing a tandem. I don't know if it was the fear of losing control and crashing one of the store's beautiful cruisers or the fear of falling in love with a bike that I can't have that held me back, but the tandem seemed like a safer choice for this new rider!


It was definitely a different experience. It's slightly unnerving to give complete control to the rider in front, even if he knows what he's doing! I didn't enjoy the feeling of not being able to control the pedals. I had to speed up, slow down, and coast when he did, all while hoping my feet flying didn't off the pedals.

It was a lot less comfortable than Miss Dorothy. She has shocks and springs under the seat, and is so comfortable, even over bigger bumps. On the tandem, every tiny bump in the road felt like I was riding over a giant rock.

I felt like being on the back of a tandem took away the most enjoyable parts of riding for me. I couldn't feel the wind rushing past me nearly as much and I couldn't see! I could glance to the sides, but had no idea what was in front of me. And leaning around to peek certainly wasn't a safe option! I really missed the breeze and the view.

Overall, I didn't really enjoy it and don't think I'll be riding again anytime soon. At least in the back. Maybe when I become a more experienced cyclist, I might try riding in the front, but for now I'll stick to Miss Dorothy. 

This was by no means, my last test ride though! Someday I hope to take a spin on all the beautiful bikes at the bike store. And maybe someday, I'll even own one! (Like this red beauty!!)




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...