Thursday, June 2, 2011

Amish Life

I wish I were Amish.

Except with electricity. And cars.

And without the clothes and super strict rules. And I don't think I could learn Pennsylvania Dutch either.

Ok, so I actually just want to be Amish for the food. It's like a 24/7 diet of comfort food! What's not to love about that? Besides all of the calories of course... But having delicious treats like homemade bread and pies every day instead of saving them for special occasions would be amazing.

When a craving for something super sweet and comforting (and yes, super unhealthy) hits, where better to look for inspiration than the Amish? And in this case, the traditional Amish treat of Whoopie Pies was the perfect choice.



I know Whoopie Pies have been trending for awhile now, so it may appear I'm jumping on the bandwagon a little late. But I was actually ahead of the game for once on this trend! I have a binder full of recipes that I made when I was about 9 or so. I wrote down a recipe for Whoopie Pies way back when, and 16 years later, I'm finally getting around to making them!

Whoopie Pies
I have no idea who to credit this recipe to, but a big thank you 
to whoever created these! They are so good!
  • 6 Tablespoons Shortening
  • 1 Cup Sugar
  • 1 Egg
  • 2 Cups Flour
  • 5 Tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
  • 1-1/2 Teaspoons Baking Soda
  • 1 Teaspoon Salt
  • 1 Cup Milk
  • 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 375ยบ and grease baking sheets.

2. Cream together shortening, sugar, and the egg.

3. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.

4. Add the flour mixture to the shortening mixture alternately with the milk and vanilla, mixing well after each addition.

5. Drop by spoonfuls on the sheets and bake for 10 minutes. 

6. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

7. Spread about a tablespoon of filling (recipe below) onto half of the cooled cookies and top with the remaining cookies.

Filling Recipe

  • 3/4 Cup Butter, Softened
  • 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
  • 1/4 Teaspoon Vanilla
  • 1 Cup Marshmallow Creme
  • 1 Tablespoon Milk
1. Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy.

2. Mix in the remaining ingredients. If frosting it too thick, add more milk. If it's too thin, add more powdered sugar.



These are obviously not your everyday cookies, as they are pretty unhealthy. But they make an amazing treat. And while the people you serve them to may not shout "whoopie!" upon seeing them, they will definitely love you for making them!

I'll stick with my modern life for now, as long as I can still occasionally be Amish in the kitchen!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...