Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Replacing a Door Knob 101

How to replace a door knob in less than 15 minutes!!!

Really!  I replaced both of my foyer closet door knobs in less than 15 minutes including taking photographs!!

If you don’t think your much of a “handy-woman” then this is the perfect project for you to get you started.

Replacing a Door Knob 101 collage

How luck am I to have not one but TWO closets in my foyer?!?!

I have replaced all the builder grade door knobs in my home except for these last two.

{Replacing a Door Knob 101}

Tools

The only tools you will need!  

{Removing the old door knob}

removing a door knob 101 collage

Step #1~   With the manual Phillips-head screwdriver remove the two screws from the back of the knob.  Remove the front and back knob.

Step #2~   With the power screwdriver, remove the two screws from the door face.

Step #3~   Again with the power screwdriver, remove the two screws from the door latch plate.   

Total time: 2 minutes to remove 6 screws.

{Installing NEW door knob}

Installing a Door Knob step-by-step

Step#1~   Using the power screwdriver and two wood screw, attach the latch to the door.

Step#2~   Identify the front and back of the knob.  The front of the door knob will have the long shaft attach to it and the back of the knob will have two holes for the screws.  The knobs I am installing are for closets and do not have a lock.  All the screw holes go on the inside or back of the door to keep things looking neat and tidy.

Step#3~   Align the back knob holes to the front. 

Step#4~   Using the manual screwdriver, screw in the long screws to hold the front and back door knob together. **** I use a manual screwdriver instead of the power one for this step because I find that my power one will mar up the new door knob.  If you have a long bit on your power screwdriver you might get away with using it.  Replacing door knobs can get pretty expensive if you are replacing a lot of them.  Honestly the risk is not worth it to me and it only takes an extra minute to do it manually.

Total time:  10 minutes {give or take how long it takes to get the new knob package open}

Optional tools

Optional:  If your door latch or face plate do not set flush in the opening then you might need to trim the opening to allow the latch or plate to set flat.  As you can see my opening has more than ample room. 

Last step~   Using power screwdriver and two wood screws, attach the door latch plate to the door jam. 

Total time: 1 minute

Now step back and enjoy your new door knob!

Opps!  Messy closet

Opps!!  How did that photograph get in here!! 

Okay I can explain the very disorganized closet but that will have to wait for another post.  Everyone has a junk drawer…. well, I have a junk closet.  For several months the Hubs has threatening me that he was going to show you photos.  LOL.  

I promise all of the other 11 closets in my home are neat and somewhat organized.

packages old door knobs

I reused the packaging for the old knobs and will be taking them to the Restore or Goodwill.

New ORB door knob

Better. 

But I still see something that need fixing.  Can you spot it?

Carrie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...