Monday, June 13, 2011

What a Week

I feel like I've been gone forever! Last week was hectic between VBS, home improvement projects, and visiting with friends I haven't seen in years. But it's all over now and I can officially relax! And by relax, I mean bake.


I have a confession. I frequently buy cream cheese when I grocery shop. Not because I need it, I just claim that I like to have it on hand. Then I never use it. A couple of days before it's about to expire, I pull it out and am "forced" to bake something yummy to prevent it from spoiling. I've probably done this a dozen times. So far no one has caught on. I hope they never do or I'll never have a valid reason to bake cupcakes when it's no one's birthday!

Red Velvet Cupcakes
Yield: 24 cupcakes
From a recipe card I recently discovered from my paternal grandmother

  • 1/2 Cup (1 stick) Butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 Cups Sugar
  • 2 Eggs
  • 4 Tbsp Red Food Coloring
  • 2 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
  • 1 Cup Buttermilk
  • 1 Tsp Salt
  • 1 Tbsp White Vinegar
  • 1 Tsp Baking Soda
  • 2 1/2 Cups Flour, sifted
  1. Preheat oven to 350ยบ. Grease and flour muffin pans, or use paper liners.
  2. Cream together butter and sugar.
  3. Beat in the eggs.
  4. Combine the food coloring and cocoa powder and add to the egg mixture.
  5. Combine buttermilk, salt, white vinegar, and baking soda and add to the egg mixture.
  6. Slowly add the flour. When combined, beat for 2 minutes or until fluffy.
  7. Pour into muffin pans and bake for about 15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
  8. Let cool completely and frost (recipe below).
Cream Cheese Frosting
Because I couldn't let that cream cheese spoil...

  • 1/2 Cup (1 stick) Butter, softened
  • 8 oz package cream cheese (reduced fat is fine, fat-free doesn't work well)
  • 1 Tsp Vanilla
  • 4 Cups Powdered Sugar
  1. Beat all ingredients until smooth.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...