Tuesday, May 10, 2011

My New Project

Craigslist is my new best friend.

I've been searching for a second bike for awhile now on craigslist, eBay, thrift stores, and bike marts. My current bike is great - I just wanted something specifically for running errands. Plus there is no graceful way to get on and off my bike now, especially since I'm wanting to start wearing skirts and dresses! I had my heart set on a vintage bike with a step through or mixte frame, but every one I found was either too expensive, too big, too small, or too much work to get it into shape. I was starting to feel like Goldilocks and gave up the search for awhile.

Then on a whim late Sunday night, I visited craigslist again and found the bike of my dreams.


I fell in love with it at first sight. I bought it for only $25 from the nicest couple. It needs a little work, but is in amazing shape for its age. Thankfully that saddle cover that resembles a dirty lamb was removable! And it's green, my favorite color!

I researched it after bringing it home. I found orginal Schwinn catalogs online and discovered it's a Schwinn Varsity from 1975 (or so). It even still has the original backpack on it. It's in great shape for 36 years old!

The original catalog

I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to bikes unfortunately. Until about 2 months ago, the last bike I owned was a tiny little single speed with coaster brakes. And unicorns. I guess it goes without saying that I was a pretty awesome 10 year old... I pretty much had to learn how to ride all over again now as an adult. Hand brakes and shifting gears were all new to me. But now after learning, I love it! I can't wait to get this bike all fixed and ready to ride! Now, it just needs a name...

This is going to be a challenging project that hopefully won't result in me pulling out all of my hair. Thankfully my mom's husband is like a walking bike manual and can help me out. So wish me luck!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...