Monday, May 2, 2011

Time Warp

My mom attended a surprise birthday and costume party for her friend this weekend. She could dress from any decade from the 20's to the 90's, so naturally she chose the tastefully refined and understated 80's. A prize would be awarded to the best costume.

She enlisted my help to go thrifting to find the perfect outfit. Sadly I recently donated a couple of outfits that would have made perfect costumes! Last summer our house became a donation center for a neighborhood family who lost everything in a fire. It was my job to sort through the bags of donations they didn't want and decide what to donate and what to toss. I can't imagine why they didn't want this green jacket...

I felt like Blanche from the Golden Girls when I put it on. Or a bat. It's a toss-up. 
The other clothes are also donations. 
Sorry for the horrible picture quality. And for the pink satin pants. They're really bad too.

And this red number with its MC Hammer pants and almost floor-length jacket was pretty priceless.

Actually, it wasn't priceless. It still had the tags on it. $24.99 was quite the steal. 
Again, horrible picture quality... oops.

In a side note, my brother would kill me if he saw that I posted this. My mom, aunt, and I convinced him to put this on months ago for a laugh. He finally agreed and we all immediately whipped out our cameras. Thankfully he doesn't know I have a blog. Hopefully when I become a wildly popular blogger (in other words, finally get more than one follower...) he won't mind the attention he's bound to get.

But these outfits were taking up valuable (and limited) storage space in my room. I figured I would never need them, so off to Goodwill they went! My timing was most unfortunate.

So my mom and I headed to Goodwill, hoping that one of these outfits had made it onto the rack. We didn't spot either one, but we did find the perfect dress for only $7.99.

The detailed beading was amazing.
As was the oh-so-flattering waist.

So she teased her curly hair sky high, 

piled on bright purple eye shadow and threw on as much jewelry as she could take. 

The purple bow in her hair and white shoes completed her look.
I wish the complete tackiness of the dress came through better, but you get the idea.

And did she win?

It was unanimous.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...