Thursday, July 14, 2011

Obsession

Not the Calvin Klein scent. Although I do feel the urge to whisper the word "obsession" every time instead of saying it out loud. Maybe that's just me...

But I know I'm not alone in this: I love to mentally decorate the home I don't yet have. I'm constantly spotting pieces of furniture, artwork, fabrics, etc. and putting them together in my mind, decorating all the rooms of my future house. A home of my own is nowhere in my near future, but better safe than sorry when it comes to decorating!

My current obsession is with Capsule Furniture by Dan Faires. You probably recognize him from last season on Design Star. His rustic style made him one of my favorites, and I was sad to see him go. Thankfully the winner Emily featured him on a past episode of her show. That's how I discovered (and fell in love with) the furniture that he makes.


Dan makes reclaimed furniture. And not just your average, run-of-the-mill "reclaimed" pieces that claim to have a story, but no one knows it. Dan knows exactly where each piece of wood that he uses came from. He includes the history of the wood and the neighborhood it was located in on a scroll tucked into a capsule, hidden in each piece of his furniture (hence the name, but you probably figured that out by now).


I think that is so amazing. Imagine how cool it would be to have a reclaimed table and be able to tell people exactly where it came from and the story behind it.

A coffee table (to the left) Dan made for a lucky guest on 
Emily's show, Secret from a Stylist

Sadly, his furniture isn't in my budget right now. But since I don't have a house to decorate yet, I guess that's ok. For now, I'll just obsess over the pieces! And maybe someday, I'll be able to actually own one!

For more information, visit Dan's store or his blog.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...